It would be nice to have the following things in PP3. Please
contact Torsten Bronger if
you want to contribute.
- Very faint stars, i.e. stars fainter than
faintest_star_disk_magnitude, should be removed from the map
automatically, if they overlap with a label. It shouldn't matter
whether the label was implicitly created or user-defined.
- An ephemerides module that allows to insert the Sun, the Moon, and the
planets on the map, for a given date, time, and observation location on
Earth. By the way, the C++ module itself is already existing, but its
integration into PP3 is not done yet.
- More map projections, in particular a real isogonal one.
- The resolution of the Milky Way should be determined in a way that
TeX's memory doesn't overflow. Maybe one should switch to contour
plots instead of dot patterns for the Milky Way.
- Create little bitmaps of all labels in order to determine kerning
parameters for them.
- PP3 should become able to deal with large data bases.
star names list of Celestia or something like that should be used for
identifying stars in input scripts.
Besides that, I'd like to re-structure the internals of PP3
because in some respect the code is not well maintainable and
expandable. For the long-term future it may be worth thinking about
using Guile as the scripting language.